Good Day CBSC Sailors!
Rob Douglas, CBSC Race Team Director, sent an energetic update to 2015 Race Team members that offered a great summary of things done and things to come! I thought it would be good to share with the rest of the membership.
Thanks Rob for doing this and to everyone else who volunteers their time and energy to support our recreational and competitive sailing activities!
Commodore, Comox Bay Sailing Club
I hope this email finds you all enjoying your Spring break, as well very happy and healthy. It is finally time for the club to open up and everyone get back to sailing again. Some of you have been sailing already in 2015! Kudos goes out to sailor/coach Alex who finished in the top half of Laser Radial Midwinters West in California! Also Chris, Oli, James V. and Francesca have been out on the water too. I hope many more of you have either been out, or are super keen to get going very, very, very, very soon!!!!!
The club has been busy this off-season.
- First off we will have to think of a new name for our big coach boat “Pack a Day” it has been re-powered with a cleaner, quieter, healthier four stroke engine, yay! It will have its install and be in service as soon as possible.
- We have two new to us Lasers in much better condition than any of the previously owned club lasers.
- We also have had one of our Optimists overhauled (Thanks to the Philips family) putting us at 8 race ready club owned Optimists with one more to come. Including Anja’s, we will have 10 different Optis sailing in 2015!! Great news considering the fact BC is hosting the Opti Nationals in Squamish this August. Now is the time to set goals to be ready.
- Jon Lihou is nearing the completion of a twelve boat Laser rack, putting our capacity at twelve instead of eight.
- Chris and Nate have purchased their Lasers from BC Sailing. Very exciting to see two more boat owners in the valley. Best of luck with your new babies boys!!!
- The Sail West planning committee has been hard at work and is almost ready to recruit volunteers. We hope all of you, parents and sailors, are available for July 23-26th, especially during the regatta itself on the weekend. We are going to have between 100-200 sailors in action on our bay!
- Richard and the Barry’s have started work on improving our trailers with the aim of safe transportation and quicker loading being the end goal.
- We have a new website up and running and information will be added to it continuously.
- The Race Team Calendars are live.
This is the 50th Anniversary of the Comox Bay Sailing Club and from what the old timers are saying the club is looking really strong just now. A big part of that is the symbiotic relationship between the sailing school and the race team. Great job everyone!!
Wow! It seems like a lot and I know there is more I am forgetting to mention. Thanks to all the contributions throughout the winter and I look forward to having a lot of fun on the water with you all in 2015!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Saturday April 11th is a call out for volunteers to help with getting the dock ready for the sailing season. We are asking everyone possible to be at the marina for 10am. Many hands make light work!
- We will be changing covers on Optimists, rigging sails, cleaning, configuring the dock, launching powerboats, etc.
- Dress for the weather, we hope it will be quick work and a good social. All race team sailors should come prepared to rig their boat after the dirty work is done to make sure it is ship shape.
- Family sailing is a possibility after the work party weather permitting.
Monday April 13th- 7pm at the Leikermoser’s home will be our Spring information meeting.
- 259 Glacier View Drive. Katie says parking is not great on the street with the new sidewalk, but people can park on their side of the road and side-by-side on their driveway.
- My cell is 604 808 9126 if you have any problems.
- We will be doing the waivers and paperwork necessary to make the season happen.
- We will discuss the calendar and major events
- We will discuss the coaching set-up.
- We will be asking for volunteers for regatta organizers and for volunteers for Sail West. Bring your calendars!
Also remember it is highly likely you will be volunteered for every job if you do not make the meeting!!!
I am more excited for this year of sailing for the Comox Bay Sailing Club Race Team than perhaps any other in our six year history. I hope you will bring your friends that may be interested in getting involved with a great club and ready to have a lot of FUN!! We have spaces in the 420 and Optis beginners. Ages are 6-15 for Optis and no age range for the 420 and Lasers. We have a nice little group of four adult racers training with more to come I feel.
See you on Saturday please RSVP to email@example.com and I will know you can make it.
If not Saturday, see you Monday the 13th!!!
Also Training begins the week of the 13th for Optis and Laser/420/29ers.
CBSC Race Team Director