Good Day CBSC Members!
It seems early but with all the action in the Club already I thought a brief update on our activities and plans for 2017 was in order!
In a nutshell 2017 is poised to be a very exciting year for the Comox Bay Sailing Club!
As many of you are aware we have hired Ian Elliot as a full time sailing coach for this year. Ian is ultimately responsible for running our Sailing School programs, our Sailing Team as well as our new Sailing / Kayaking Field Trips offered to SD71 Grades 3 to 6.
We are very excited to have Ian on board for this season as his skill and experience will undoubtedly help take our Club to the next level! Ian is a great guy and I’ve not only seen him in action on the docks but overheard the Opti fun while we were racing keelboats this past weekend in light air. Be sure to check out Ian’s resume for his impressive list of credentials, and swing by the dinghy docks and say hello!
Other great news is summarized in the following bullets:
- Dock Expansion – the Town of Comox has approved our application to expand our space by building a floating dock in the two slips adjacent to our current facility. This will undoubtedly ease the strain on our current dock and present great opportunities for growth and program expansion. We took over the lease on April 1 and are putting a plan together to build the float.
- SD71 Sailing / Kayaking Field Trips – In an effort to expose more young people to the wonderful sport of sailing the CBSC is very excited to offer 1 to 3 day sailing/kayaking field trips to Grade 3-6 classes in SD71. Click here for more information on this great program!
- Operational Improvements – there has been a significant undertaking to revamp not only our external offerings but also how we operate internally. The ultimate goal is to provide a better service to our members and partners and bring more efficiency to how the Club operates.
- Summer Fun Regatta – our annual Summer Fun Regatta is Scheduled for the weekend of July 29/30. This has become an extremely popular event over the last few years and is now part of the BC Sailing circuit with regular attendance from out of town clubs. Be sure to keep the dates open and also consider the training camps the week prior. More news to come!
- CBSC Branded Clothing – our Sailing Team is in the process of being outfitted with snazzy CBSC branded jackets. We will be extending a similar offer to general membership once we are finished with the Sailing Team!
- CBSC App – we are in the process of creating a CBSC App (iPhone and Android) for items such as weather, tides, rigging details, shed organization, coach boat usage etc.
Our Spring GM and Social Event was held on March 15 at the Comox Golf Course. We had a great turnout of both existing and prospective members. A big thanks to Frank Denton for his entertaining presentation on his trip to Alaska.
Click here for the minutes of the Spring GM.
Thanks everyone and see you on the water!
Comox Bay Sailing Club